Monday 29 May 2017

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation as a Graduation Requirement for Biomedical Engineering Students

At the end of a mountain road in Austria during the summer of 2003, I waited for a boat with my family on a dock at a large lake. Suddenly I saw a man fall to the side walk. His skin had turned that ashen blue color, and it was clear to me that he was in cardiac arrest. There was a crowd of more than 75 persons just standing and looking at him. 

biomedical engineering journals
I knew what to do when there was no detectable pulse or breathing. Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) chest compressions were started immediately. His skin color returned to nearly normal. After a few minutes, a single bystander came up and said they knew how to do breaths. At that time, recommendations were for intermittent breathing as well as chest compressions. The stricken person made it alive to the EMS vehicle that took nearly 30 minutes to arrive. While I do not know the eventual outcome, I do know he was successfully resuscitated using an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). Furthermore with the quick application of CPR, he likely had a full recovery. Unfortunately, from the crowd response at that time, there were not enough people trained to act in this emergency situation where seconds really count.

No comments:

Post a Comment